How to create a PDF for offset press and upload PDF.
How to create a PDF and to upload PDF. These instructions are specifically for printing on offset press with Star Print Brokers. PDFs need to be set up correctly or a client will have to remake them. To create PDFs in Adobe InDesign go to File > Export . . . to desktop or folder > click Save. Save PDFs to the desktop or in the folder for a book in progress.
- When first setting up a book file in InDesign, make sure to check ‘Facing Pages’. Go to File > Document Setup . . . This places the first page in a right-hand page position and it is numbered page 1. The following pages are in two-page spreads. A book always has an even number of pages. The last page in a book is a left-hand page that has an even number.
- The crop marks, bleed marks, and color bars need to be set up when creating a PDF. They are not made in the InDesign file.
Years ago, printers asked to have native files (in this case, InDesign files) sent to prepress. However, technology is better now. The finest books print from PDFs that are set up correctly. Printers seldom print from InDesign files any longer. Printing from an InDesign file is now the exception.
The following is a reference guide to make PDF files to print books, again, specifically with Star Print Brokers.
- Left column: General tab
- Adobe PDF Preset: Choose Press Quality because “Print Quality” is for output to desktop printers, not printing on press.
- Compatibility: Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3). Once you select this option, Press Quality becomes “Press Quality (modified).” Acrobat 5 and higher have functions that you do not need or want to print on press, like preserving linkable text. Acrobat 5 and higher can interfere with imposition software that printer’s use to prepare files for printing.
MARKS AND BLEEDS TAB
- Left column: Marks and Bleeds tab.
- “Spreads” box without a check mark. PDFs in single pages, NOT spreads.
- Under “Marks”, check the box: All Printer’s Marks.
- Below that, check box: Use Document Bleed Settings. If you set the bleed correctly in the Document Setup, you will see 0.125 in each box. It is also okay to have the inside box set to zero.
- Left column: Output tab. Use the default settings. If you no longer have default settings, please use the following.
- Color Conversion: “Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers)”.
- Profile Inclusion Policy: Select “Don’t Include Profiles.”
- Click “Export” to make PDF files. Your PDF will automatically open.
Uploading or sending files
The PDF files may be sent to the providers’ FTP site or upload to DropBox. Contact provider for FTP credentials. Email smaller PDFs. It is fine to use providers other than DropBox.
PDFs need all printer’s marks and use document bleed settings. The interior pages should be sent in one PDF or chapters can be in one folder. But to print correctly, the book needs to be in single pages, not spreads. You see, we rearrange the pages depending on how many pages we have in each signature. We also consider the dimensions of the paper we use for the signatures. This may vary among printers, and which press they will use. There is no cost savings or additional expense.
Each of the other components should be in separate file folders. Other PDFs or files could be the cover, cover wrap, dust jacket, endpapers, spot varnish file, foil stamp. It all depends on the binding style and printing customization you choose.
If you have any problems with creating a PDF or to upload pdf, contact your service provider. Please consider using Star Print Brokers!